International Sessions (IS)
Background and Purpose of the International Sessions
The 34th annual conference of the Robotics Society of Japan (RSJ) will be held at Yamagata University. The conference including more than seven hundred academic or technical presentations from various areas of robotics has many participants from industries, research institutions, and universities. This RSJ annual conference accepts English presentation as well as Japanese presentation. Majority of the conference participants are Japanese and presentations and discussions are mostly in Japanese. For researchers whose native language is not Japanese to attend the conference and present their work, the RSJ will organize two international sessions in this annual conference. The official language of the international sessions is English and all participants of these international sessions including presenters, chairpersons, and audiences are required to use English. Conference registration fee is charged to the participants in the international sessions (the amount depends on your status, such as RSJ member, non-member, or student). In contrast to other regular/organized sessions, RSJ membership is not required for presenters in the international sessions. Moreover, short papers of a minimum of one page are welcome. Other than the relaxed requirements for the membership and the paper length, the international sessions will be treated in the same way as other regular/organized sessions, namely, papers will be included in the conference DVD and the conference digest.
Call for Papers
International Sessions, the 34th Annual Conference of the Robotics Society of Japan
- Date: September 7th - 9th, 2016
- Venue: Yamagata University, Yamagata
- Deadline for paper submission: July 13th, 2016
Authors are requested to follow the normal submission procedure and upload their papers electronically in PDF format through the conference website. The detailed procedure for submitting a paper is shown below. If you are not a member of RSJ, please use temporary RSJ ID 70100 for paper submission. The fee for one paper submission is included in the conference registration fee. For more submissions, extra submission fee (JPY5000/paper) is required.
If you have not registered for the conference yet, please visit to the registration site, and complete your registration to obtain your registration number before the submission.
Tomohiro SHIBATA (Kyushu Institute of Technology)
Tomohiro SHIBATA (Kyushu Institute of Technology) tom[at]brain.kyutech.ac.jp
（Replace [at] with @.)
Robotics has the potential to develop innovations in assisting the lives of both healthy and unhealthy persons. This session aims at providing an opportunity of exchanging ideas and sharing practices about assistive robotics across people and research teams. Topics may cover a broad spectrum of assistive robotics, such as mechatronics, control, perception, planning, human-robot interaction, and rehabilitation.
Masafumi OKADA (Tokyo Institute of Technology), Tomohiro SHIBATA (Kyushu Institute of Technology)
Masafumi OKADA (Tokyo Institute of Technology) international[at]rsj.or.jp
（Replace [at] with @.)
This session is for all of robotics-related studies other than those covered by the other international sessions (IS1). We welcome researchers in oversea institutes, foreign researchers in Japan, and anyone who wants to present and discuss his/her activities in English. The international sessions accept speakers without RSJ membership.
Paper Submission for IS
July 13th, 2016
- Manuscripts for the International Sessions must be in English, and up to 4 pages of A4 size.
- Please download and use the following Latex or Microsoft Word templates.
- For formatting your page, set the top and side margins to 20mm and the bottom margin to 27mm. This gives a space of 250mm * 170mm for your document.
- Use two columns in all pages except for the title and the author information.
- Please use 10pt font for the main text. Followings are the guidelines for the structure of a paper written in English.
- Title: 12pt, Roman, boldface type
- Author names and affiliations: 12pt, Roman (put an asterisk * on the presenter)
- Main text: 10pt
- References: 9pt
[number] author names: "paper title", title of the journal, volume, issue, pp.xxx-xxx, year.
[number] author names: title of the book, publisher, year.
Creating a PDF file
The submitted PDF file will be included "as is" in the conference DVD-ROM. In order to minimize the efforts to revise and reformat by the conference organizer, please double-check printing qualities, security settings, and formats of your manuscripts before submission. Contact us if you have any inquiry before submitting your paper.
When creating a PDF file, the following guidelines must be followed:
- The file size should be less than 3M Byte.
- Don't over-degrade the printing quality when reducing the file size.
- Since submitted files will be edited later by the conference organizer to include some information, such as header and footer, don't activate any security options of your PDF file.
- Don’t set the Security to your PDF file.
- Check whether the quality of the document is good enough for publication. Confirm that the top and side margins are 20mm and the bottom margin is 27mm, respectively.
[Notes for special characters]
- Please do not use Roman numerals and/or any special characters.
- Please spell-out any Greek characters.
Creating conference digest materials
Besides conference DVD containing papers in PDF format, we will make conference digest booklet. An example of the digest is here.
The following materials should be prepared:
- Abstract of your paper within 440 characters (about 70 words).
- An explanatory figure/image of your abstract. (The file size should be less than 500K Byte. An example of the figure is here.)
Please follow the following guidelines:
- The abstract will be printed at the left side of the explanatory figure as shown in the sample.
- It is strongly recommended to write your abstract as plain text. Copying and pasting letters directly from word processing softwares may cause errors at the online submission process
- Maintain the aspect ratio of the image to be 4:3 (horizontal:vertical). If letters are included in the figure, the font size should be greater than 10pt.
- GIF and JPEG formats will be accepted. Save the image with grey-scale option (the conference digest will be printed in B/W).
- Since three abstracts are supposed to be printed in each page of the conference digest, keep in mind that the size of the image might be small (about 67mm*50mm) and the printed quality might be limited (300 dpi).
- The size of the image might be adjusted according to the size of page.